Wednesday 25 December 2013

Unrealistic Expectations: the Life of a BSC Fanatic

For those of you who don’t know, I am a nut about the Baby Sitters Club. In fact, I’d say I’m a 1# fan of the series. The premise of the books is that 7 very different girls run a baby sitting service, where parents call them during their thrice-a-week meetings to book a sitter. They plan events for themselves and their clients. More importantly, they are the best friends I’ve never had. Which is why I thought I’d write a blog about it.

Unrealistic Expectation 1#: Having a big group of girlfriends
I remember once trying to integrate a friend I knew from theatre group with my high school friends. It didn’t work. Unfortunately, the girls in the BSC integrate other people really well. Crazy 11-year-old-frizzy-haired writer? Youre in. Black? You’re in too, even though you’re not white. NYC girl, welcome aboard. These friends were all really different from each other, but they had the club in common, so they worked at it. In school, having a friend is a bonus, but there are no real incentives to make those tricky friendships work, either they do, or they don’t.

Unrealistic Expectation 2#: Baby-sitting kids is awesome
Baby sitting kids is not awesome. I’m a teacher, and yes, I love working with children. Looking after kids when its’ a) after school, b) holidays or c) their parents out having actual fun can be a real pain for both parties. The kids want to be with their mum and dad, not some lousy baby sitter. Come on. And, also, I wouldn’t leave my kids with a Year 7 kid until 10pm. Just sayin’.

Unrealistic Expectation 3#: Everyone is awesome at something.
Claudia – art. Stacey- fashion and maths. Mary Anne – sewing. Mallory – writing and reading. The list goes on. As a writer I understand that you need to give your characters something to help create depth and insight into their lives, but seriously, that does not happen in real life. I am good at writing, but I’m also good at baking, craft and being a good friend.

Unrealistic Expectation 4#: You don’t need adults to solve your problems
I wish sometimes kids would be a bit more pro-active in their problem solving strategies. Then again, they didn’t grow up reading the BSC. Problems with parents not understanding their kids, putting too much responsibility on their baby-sitters or kid-in-trouble-at school? The BSC can fix it. Then again, they showed more maturity than most middle aged women at the best of times, and had the best come backs, so it probably isn’t entirely their fault.

Unrealistic Expectation 5#: We all gotta be emo
In these books there is a lot of crying, fights, drama and love. I blame my teenage angst (ok, from the age of 12) on the BSC. And my unrealistic longing for my beautiful hometown. Damn you Dawn and your stupid California aspirations.

Unrealistic Expectation 6#: Do nothing and guys will like you.
Hello, Mary Anne and Logan? Anyone? Anyone at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment